Find sumtin:

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Is it socially acceptable for men to blog?

Well I suck at keeping a regular journal so one night I thought to myself..."hey Nate, why don't you get yourself one of them brand new blog things all the people seem to be using." I hope it works and I expect the usual barrage of comments, critiques, and off color jokes from my friends who will probably think this is a ridiculous idea. 

I don't expect anyone who doesn't know me already to really read this stuff so most of the things I post will be a sort of self-medicating vent of ideas or lack thereof from myself. A brief history is probably appropriate for my first post, although if you want the details you should check out my wife's blog as she is very thorough. I grew up outside of Boston, MA and lived all over the place. I was born in Salt Lake City, Utah (you guessed it, I'm a Mormon) to Les and Anna Harriman who raised me with exceptional patience and love. I have two younger brothers, Brandon and Justin who would love to beat me up, but I keep on my toes. I love my family and find them to be one of my highest priorities. Especially the family I started on June 26th 2010 when I married my incredibly independent and beautiful wife, Emily.


I served a full-time mission in Cleveland Ohio where I learned what this life was all about.

 I go to school full time and work in retail where I help people buy clothes...it takes a lot of skill. I'm going to someday make it through med school and start a career in Emergency Medicine. Feels like a far away dream. My favorite quote comes from Winston Churchill, "To every man there comes in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to him, and fitted to his talents. What a tragedy it would be if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour." I think that special thing happens on a daily basis. Sometimes I find myself unprepared and other times I am privileged to conquer that moment and feel the joy that follows. 

I am deeply religious, loyal, and inquisitive. I suppose many would find the last part of that self-assessment to be contrary to the first two adjectives. On the contrary I don't think you can really be loyal or religious unless you ask questions and search for truth. That is the most rewarding endeavor; to FIND truth not just to accept it at face value. 

I'm not sure what else to include really. I guess thats my cue to just end it. 

P.S. try to watch this video without laughing
  

1 comment: